Cnews and gcc 1.36 on UNIXPC

Mark Moraes moraes at cs.toronto.edu
Sat Dec 2 18:12:30 AEST 1989

todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:
>Usually, I have no trouble with Cnews when using the stock UNIXPC cc
>compiler.  However, when I tried using gcc1.36, Cnews would claim that
>all articles are duplicates (even happens during the regression test!).

>Can anyone shed some light on this?

I haven't seen this problem, but for a wild guess, are you using dbm
from a system library? gcc and cc differ on their convention for
returning dbm structs, and programs that use dbm should either use the
-fpcc-return option on gcc when compiling, (may not work in gcc
versions before 1.35, I think), or compile a version of
dbm/sdbm/gdbm/dbz/whatever with gcc and use that.

This also applies to any other routines that return structs, rather
than pointers to structs.

[Geoff Collyer also warns that you had better use gcc -traditional --
 he staunchly denies that C News is written in ANSI C, and insists
 that compiling C News with an ANSI C compiler (alleged or otherwise)
 will void your warranty...]