Cnews and gcc 1.36 on UNIXPC

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sun Dec 3 10:52:41 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec2.022346.436 at ivucsb.sba.ca.us> todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:
>Usually, I have no trouble with Cnews when using the stock UNIXPC cc
>compiler.  However, when I tried using gcc1.36, Cnews would claim that
>all articles are duplicates (even happens during the regression test!).
>
>Can anyone shed some light on this?

I'd suspect problems with the interface to the dbm library.  As I
understand it -- I haven't used gcc significantly -- gcc does *not*
use pcc-compatible conventions for calling struct-valued functions
unless told to.  The dbm interface includes some such functions.
--
Mars can wait:  we've barely   |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
started exploring the Moon.    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu