Cnews and gcc 1.36 on UNIXPC

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Sun Dec 3 16:31:29 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec2.235241.6935 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1989Dec2.022346.436 at ivucsb.sba.ca.us> todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:
>>Usually, I have no trouble with Cnews when using the stock UNIXPC cc
>>compiler.  However, when I tried using gcc1.36, Cnews would claim that
>>all articles are duplicates (even happens during the regression test!).

>I'd suspect problems with the interface to the dbm library.  As I
>understand it -- I haven't used gcc significantly -- gcc does *not*
>use pcc-compatible conventions for calling struct-valued functions
>unless told to.  The dbm interface includes some such functions.

Yep, that's exactly what happens.  All history-file-related functions (like
checking whether articles are dupes or not) will not work if you forget to
use -fpcc-struct-return on the gcc command line.  With that, everything should
work fine; a friend of mine got C News running on an Encore Multimax with gcc,
and as I recall we didn't have to specify any flags to gcc except for
-fpcc-struct-return and -traditional.
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Motorola Skates On Intel's Head!