Submission for Unix-PC (how to cu to ring-backs)

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Mon Dec 11 15:19:53 AEST 1989

In article <8912080450.AA20987 at ames.arc.nasa.gov> gatelist at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG writes:
[recently switched to ring-back modem]
[want to be ready for these ring-back calls]

Well, if one is using an external modem, one only need the appropriate direct
device, then just cu -l and wait for the call to come in. If you have a Hayes
set for no auto-answer, then you need to ATS0=1, or type ATA when the phone
rings. Yeah, yeah that's easy, what about the OBM.

I was all ready to hack up something to make this work, but I got lucky. The
trick to answering phone calls with /dev/ph? is the mode in which you open
the device:

O_RDWR|O_NDELAY	Open for outgoing call (NDELAY so you get it open for ioctl())
O_RDWR		Open for incoming, block until answer
O_RDONLY	Open for voice only call (no modem)

/usr/lib/uucp/Devices already has:
---
ACU ph1 ph1 1200 PC7300 \T
---
so I added:
---
Direct ph1 ph1 1200 direct
---
and just did "cu -lph1" It did the normal getoff.sh stuff, then just hung
there until a call came in. When CD came up I was connected. I'm kind of
disappointed it was so easy. I would guess the same concept would work with
old-style cu, but I haven't tried it. Not using ,M seems appropriate.

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:252-8544, w:469-1990; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!