Optical disk for a unix-pc, is it possible?

John McMillan jcm at mtunb.ATT.COM
Tue Dec 12 02:01:47 AEST 1989

:
>|The actual limit with the WD2010 is (from /usr/include/gdisk.h):
>|gdisk.h:#define HDMAXCYL	1400	/* support a maximum of 1400 cylinders */
>|This is a compiled into the kernel value, we can't change it.
>
>	Those of you with kernel source (8^) can
>	grep for the use of this constant so as to
>	discover where to patch... please post...

	And even without kernel source:
	those of you clever enough to bother to GREP
	for HDMAXCYL in the /usr/include/sys directory
	may notice it is used in the declaration of array
	sizes.  [If you have a single disk, you MIGHT get
	away with double the size (ie., 2800) by trashing
	the 2nd disk area's Bad Block Q array].

john mcmillan