Optical disk for a unix-pc, is it possible?

Bruce Becker bdb at becker.UUCP
Fri Dec 8 16:32:50 AEST 1989

In article <617 at uncle.UUCP> jbm at uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
|In article <1226 at becker.UUCP> bdb at becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
|>In article <1037 at icus.islp.ny.us> lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
|>|[...]
|>	If a WD2010 controller is used, then one can
|>	use up to 2048 cylinders, for 134,217,728
|>	bytes, though I've never seen a ST506/MFM
|>	drive with that many cylinders.
|
|The actual limit with the WD2010 is (from /usr/include/gdisk.h):
|gdisk.h:#define HDMAXCYL	1400	/* support a maximum of 1400 cylinders */
|This is a compiled into the kernel value, we can't change it.

	Those of you with kernel source (8^) can
	grep for the use of this constant so as to
	discover where to patch... please post...

	It seems that Philips has a ST506 thingy which
	may be several spindles that looks like a very
	large single drive. This information comes from
	a German developer who makes disk interface
	hardware for the Amiga, etc.

	Granted the limited acees one might have to such
	a device - I still want SCSI, things would be easier.
	So where is the ST506-to-SCSI adapter card we all need?

Cheers,
--
   ^^ 	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \**/	 Internet: bdb at becker.UUCP, bruce at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
 `/v/-e	 BitNet:   BECKER at HUMBER.BITNET
_/  >_	 "Modern Businessmen believe in Christiannuity" - Pres. George Bosch