ln ksh /bin/sh (was: second disk partitions on UNIXPC)

Robert E. Stampfli res at cbnews.ATT.COM
Fri Dec 8 06:36:01 AEST 1989

In article <1717 at mtunb.ATT.COM> jcm at mtunb.UUCP (John McMillan) writes:

>1) Replacing SH with KSH is a serious breach of sanity.
>	KSH is ALMOST a superset of SH -- but the differences are VERY
>	REAL.  It can waste hours or days for support people when folks
>	play this game.

With all due respect for John McMillan and his useful postings, I must admit
to having made ksh my standard /bin/sh years ago and, so far as I can tell,
have experienced only one bad side effect:  the % expansion to filename in
vi broke.  I heard rumors that spell and lint would break, but I did not
experience this.

The only thing that consistently bites me is that I use the "set -o nounset"
option on my account, and this blows many scripts out of the water.  I do
have access to the ksh sources, so I use a ksh compiled from these, and not
the one that came with the distribution disks.

If anyone actually has an example of ksh breaking a command, etc, I would
really like to hear about it.  Please send me the particulars so I can try
it on my system.

--
Rob Stampfli	/ att.com!stampfli (uucp at work) / kd8wk at w8cqk (packet radio)
614-864-9377	/ osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu!kd8wk!res (uucp at home)