Problem compiling gcc on Unix-pc

Randy Orrison randy at garnet.cdc.com
Sat Feb 25 06:03:41 AEST 1989

Actually, that should be 'problems', but I've gotten past the first of
them.

First -- On the Unix-pc, the stock cpp can't handle all the #defines
in the source, so you must use gcc-cpp (which you get from someone
else, of course).  This leads to the problem that gcc-cpp defines
__STDC__ for you, which isn't true, and so the compiler gets
prototypes in obstack.h and gets upset.  Since gcc-cpp won't let me
undefine __STDC__, I had to go through the sources and change all
occurances of __STDC__ to something else (I chose __STDC__x).  I also
changed __GNUC__ for good measure.  That was the easy one...

(Along the same lines, -Dconst= in the CFLAGS helps too.)

Now I'm having a more serious problem.  Everything has gone well, up
to the linking of cc1.  Here's what happens:

|        cc -g -Dconst=  -o cc1 [.o files deleted]
| ld fatal: fail to copy the bytes that need no reloc of section .text
| of file insn-recog.o
| *** Error code 13

Does anyone know what this means, or (even better) what to do about
it?

For the curious -- I'm using version 3.51 with 1Meg of ram and about
1Meg free disk at the time of the error.

    Thanks in advance for suggestions and help!

    	-randy
--
Randy C. Orrison -- Control Data in the Hills of Arden, Minnesota
		randy at garnet.cdc.com