Login passwords: not as selective as advertised???

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Sat Feb 25 02:24:10 AEST 1989

I was just fiddling around with the login password stuff that was posted
a while ago.  It worked as advertised, at least as far as what it did
to /etc/dialups and /etc/d_passwd.  However, the underlying behaviour of
/etc/login seems at odds with what I thought it was supposed to be.

I thought that ONLY the shells named in /etc/d_passwd would get prompted
for a password.  This is not the case on my machine: anyone logging in
on a line listed in /etc/dialups seems to have to go through this.

This is not good.  All my uucp hookups use a shell called
/usr/lib/uucp/uucicoTZ (not a script, but a short compiled front end).
These were getting the Dialup Password: prompt.  Not what I had in mind.

Does anyone out there know how this undocumented feature is supposed to
work?  I want it to behave as advertised in the dpasswd posting: more
security on interactive calls, nothing additional on uucp hookups.
I can use this to prevent any non-uucp hookups at all, for instance,
by making the password impossible.