Keyboard Cables? / external disk RF signal

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Mon Feb 6 13:32:03 AEST 1989

In article <116 at gnosys.UUCP> gst at gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>In article <432 at limbic.UUCP> gil at limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>> In article <112 at gnosys.UUCP> gst at gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) [me] writes:
[keyboard joke]
>BTW, now that I have your attention, I would like to ask a serious question.
>I was talking with someone locally about the idea of an external hard disk,
>and mentioned the two independent projects currently underway.  His remark
>was that one of the things he liked about the machine (being a ham radio
>operator) was how it was nice and self-contained, and very low on RF emissions.
>He says that once you start running external cables around that whole situation
>can change very drastically.  Have you given any thought to that problem?  Have
>you measured RF radiation, even by means of noting the effect of the external
>cable on nearby radio and television receivers?  Same question to jbm.

Yes, I have. If you want to keep down EMI, you can (and this is my OFFICIAL
position) buy shielded ribbon cable to run from my board to your external
disk drive enclosure. As far as EMI from my board, I have not thought up
anything for that. I suppose one could use some of that stick metal coated
paper that they used around the bus board and in the monitor. Anyone know
where I can get some of this? Would they also provide custome die cutting?

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:764-2933;  Got any good 74LS503 circuits?