Keyboard Cables? / external disk RF signal

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.UUCP
Mon Feb 13 16:22:05 AEST 1989

In article <116 at gnosys.UUCP> gst at gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>Hey, Gil - I meant that as a JOKE!  :-)  (Guess you missed the smiley,
>or thought it applied only to the part about the periscope.  Oh well.
>Still, I appreciate the effort you put into giving the idea some thought.

Guess so.  It really WAS a neat idea though ;-)

[RF and 2nd disk upgrades]
>He says that once you start running external cables around that whole situation
>can change very drastically.  Have you given any thought to that problem?  Have
>you measured RF radiation, even by means of noting the effect of the external
>cable on nearby radio and television receivers?  Same question to jbm.
>Gary S. Trujillo			      {linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
>Somerville, Massachusetts		     {icus,ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst

Ugh...  I've already read John Milton's reply, and my position on it stands
equally with his.  In the hard disk upgrade instructions I'm distributing,
I mention briefly the problems with RF interference.  In that brief section,
I discuss how BIG of a problem it is.

I disagree with John on one point:  I don't think shielding the cables will
solve the problem completely, or even sufficiently.  I've had a homemade
expansion board INSIDE my machine for a while, buffering SOME address/data
lines and sending them out through a ribbon cable wrapped in aluminum duct
tape.  The TV interference improvement was negligable.  I think in order to
keep the interference down completely, you will need to shield ALL parts of
the upgrade, including the PC/perf-board.  My guess is that the board would
have to be put inside a shielded metal box.  What further baffles me is
that there are not constantly signals going to/from the hard disk.  Why
is there constant interference on a TV?  I suspect that the cables are
leaking other-than-disk signals outside the shielded cabinet. (see below)

A "someone" who wishes to remain anonymous and who currently has the
second hard disk upgrade in his 3B1 will get thrown out of the house
by his family soon when they find that channels 2 (CBS) and 4 (NBC) on
their portable TV don't come-in anymore because of a certain external
hard disk.  Sigh...

-------
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.          U-Net: {decuac,boulder,talcott,sbcs}!icus!limbic!gil
ICUS Software Systems      Voice: (516) 968-6860 [H]   (516) 746-2350 x219 [W]
P.O. Box 1                 Internet:  gil at icus.islp.ny.us
Islip Terrace, NY  11752   "Life's a ...  well, you know..."