Help on a CTIX machine

andrew.d.hay mvadh at cbnews.ATT.COM
Fri Feb 24 21:39:18 AEST 1989

In article <2596 at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> mikes at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu.UUCP (Michael Steele) writes:
[]
">	Try phoning:	(800) 828-UNIX	-- and post your results.
"
"   I tried calling the 1-800 number but I can't place the call from NC.
"   It's my understanding that AT&T's software distribution is in Greensboro,
"   NC.  It may be they don't allow 1-800 calls from NC.

because of the demarcation between AT&T and the RBOCs (regional bell
operating cos) since the breakup, it is *NOT*POSSIBLE* to call *ANY*
AT&T 800 number from the same state it gets routed to.  You can have a
local number ring the same line, or you can have an in-state 800
number, but you can't have an in-state 800 number ring the same line
as an AT&T 800 number.

"   Also what is this STORE that everyone is talking about?  Are they
"   FTPable?

it's an AT&T machine (vax, i think) in middletown, nj which has a
large collection of installable software packages free for the call,
for the 3b1.
make a uucp entry for machine 'shop',
phone number {9+} 1,201,957-4646; then
uucp -m shop!store/STOREROOM/CATALOG+IN /usr/spool/uucppublic/{wherever}
and install it.
--
Apprentice Polymath	| Yes, the wages of sin ARE death, but after they take |