Help on a CTIX machine

Michael Steele mikes at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
Fri Feb 24 07:12:35 AEST 1989

I would like to thank everyone who has responded to my questions regarding
our Convergent Mini-frame Plus.  Hopefully I will clarify some of the
questions concerning our version of UNIX...at least what I've read in the
CTIX documentation.

>>        Below are several questions I have regarding the system, any help
>>  you can provide will be GREATLY appreciated (either by posting to the net
>>  or via email).  We have a mini-frame plus with v3.10net of SYS V.
>						  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>	Since I haven't the faintest idea of what "v3.10net" is,
>	I can't address it directly.  The UNIX-pc is derived from
>	CTIX: the UNIX-pc was NOT BASED on SVR3 -- although much
>	of the SVID [System V Interface Definition] is common.

    3.10 net is suppose to be a special version of Sys V developed by the CT
    folks to add TCP/IP support.  I don't know what compatabilities it has
    with the AT&T versions of sys V.  I have heard that the Mini-frame is
    suppose to be binary compatable with the 3B1 and Mega-frame machines.  I
    haven't had the opportunity to try this out though. Also the docs said
    that this version of Sys V has BSD inhancements including Sockets for
    TCP-IP support.

>>						  	Is it true
>>  that AT&T distributes UNIX free to universities...I assume this
>>  information is VERY old, or do they still do it.  If so, how would one go
>>  about upgrading their software and can we get kernal source?
>
>	'Think there was always a nominal fee: in the early days
>	it was little more than a tape-charge.
>
>	Try phoning:	(800) 828-UNIX	-- and post your results.

   I tried calling the 1-800 number but I can't place the call from NC.
   It's my understanding that AT&T's software distribution is in Greensboro,
   NC.  It may be they don't allow 1-800 calls from NC.  Does anyone know
   their 1-919 number or another 800 number for in NC calls?

>>  4) I've seen several postings about gcc running on AT&T machines.
>
>	Try loading a STRIPped 'gcc' from someone's UNIX-pc.  If it
>	can run, can't you bootstrap to a full, long-names ["flexnames"]
>	development environment?  (The UNIX-pc moved to "flexnames"
>	around release 3.0 [or was that 3.5?].)

   So can I assume that the version of gcc on cheops doesn't have shortened
   variable names?  If I can get a decent version of a C compiler working,
   life will be much easier.

   Also what is this STORE that everyone is talking about?  Are they
   FTPable?

					Thanks for all your help.
					Michael Steele
						mikes at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu