Dec DF03 Modem

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.UUCP
Mon Feb 6 09:25:55 AEST 1989

In article <689 at valkyrie.UUCP> jpb at valkyrie.UUCP (Joe Block) writes:
>A friend of mine loaned me a DEC DF03 modem that he got 3rd or 4th hand,
>without documentation of any kind.  I am trying to connect it to an AT&T
>Unix PC, and would appreciate it if someone out there in netland could
>give me some information about it (Like, what baud rate is it?), cable
>pinouts, commands, etc.
>Joe Block
>uucp: ncar!umigw!\
>                  >umbio!{jpb,valkyrie!jpb,valkyrie!root}
>           gould!/

I don't have any documentation handy for the DF03 modem I have used either,
but I know that there are several configuration DF03's.  They are generally
0-300,1200 baud.  Some have autodialers in them, and are much less than
smart modems (ie. they have little if no "brains" in them).  If your
modem does have a dialer, it is initiated and ended with some control
sequence (I forget it now).

The pinout on the "cable" is standard RS232, and should be easy to get hooked
to a UNIX-pc.  I suspect you'll only be able to use it for dial-in though.
You'd be better off using the on-board modem on the UNIX-pc than the DF03.
The DF03 really gives you no extra features than the one in your machine
already.

-------
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.          U-Net: {decuac,boulder,talcott,sbcs}!icus!limbic!gil
ICUS Software Systems      Voice: (516) 968-6860 [H]   (516) 746-2350 x219 [W]
P.O. Box 1                 Internet:  gil at icus.islp.ny.us
Islip Terrace, NY  11752   "Life's a ...  well, you know..."