Isn't it amazing what you find in the manuals?

Alex S. Crain alex at umbc3.UMBC.EDU
Wed Feb 22 05:35:04 AEST 1989

In article <481 at uncle.UUCP> jbm at uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
>trouble of putting a new one in Volume I, that it is the correct one. Any
>comments?

	I think I remember seeing a note that said their were 3.51 updates
to the man pages in the back of Volume 1, or something to that effect, so
I guess that you've got the correct versions. I was always sort of pissed
off that they didn't print each one on a separate page, so you can't just
insert them in the appropriate places (the new tbl(1) has xt(7) on the back).

>Another vote that this is the correct one is the presence of a new section
>two call: LOCKING(2).

	I'm glad you mentioned this, I was wondering why there was no man
page for it, I was thinking that maybe it didn't work.

>Some other ones look interesting. I have seen references, but don't see any
>man pages for:
>
>#define SYS_STTY	31	/* stty()		*/
>#define SYS_GTTY	32	/* gtty()		*/

	Thats right, no man pages, but check out <sgtty.h> and <sys/ttold.h>
I can only guess that something in the software never got ported to the new
tty routines, so they left this here for compatability. Seems to work, although
I think that its a little incomplete.

>And why were both of these called utime()?
>
>#define SYS_UTSSYS	57	/* utime()		*/
>#define SYS_UTIME	30	/* utime()		*/

	Because one of them is wrong :-). SYS_UTSSYS is called by uname(),
not utime(). (sorry)

>Hey Alex, where did your info come from anyway?

	It was a side effect of my latest project. I'm working on a driver that
needs a system call interface, (ioctl() just don't cut it), so I went looking
for empty slots in the system call jump table (sysent[], see <sys/systm.h>),
which involved disassembling the table. I once needed to verify some calls to
syscall() in SBprolog, and it was a pain, so I saved the info this time around.

	Note that that header file won't compile (multiple definitions of
SYS_NODEV), I just put it out there for funzys (sp ?). (although it may turn
up in the project that I'm working on, in about 3 months.)

--
					:alex
Alex Crain
Systems Programmer			alex at umbc3.umbc.edu