unexplained cores after compiles

Michael "Ford" Ditto ditto at cbmvax.UUCP
Wed Feb 15 06:09:53 AEST 1989

In article <3986 at cbnews.ATT.COM> res at cbnews.ATT.COM (Robert E. Stampfli) writes:
>I have noticed that occasionally I will get a core dump immediately after
>invoking a program on the Unix-PC, usually upon trying to run it after
>it has just finished compiling.

I have seen this happen on a few different types of machines running
System V Release 2.  I think it is a bug related to execing a file which
has pending delayed-write blocks in the cache.  I have only seen it
happen when the program is invoked immediately after it is written, as
in the shell command "make foo && foo".

I have seen it happen on the Unix PC when compiling gcc, because of the
way it compiles a program like "genoutput" and then runs it to generate
some more code.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford at kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto at cbmvax.commodore.com