unexplained cores after compiles

Alex S. Crain alex at umbc3.UMBC.EDU
Thu Feb 16 04:03:05 AEST 1989

In article <5977 at cbmvax.UUCP> ditto at cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) writes:

>I have seen it happen on the Unix PC when compiling gcc, because of the
>way it compiles a program like "genoutput" and then runs it to generate
>some more code.

	I had attributed this to a bug in make, in that make is execing
genoutput with too many open file descriptors, and genoutput being unable
to cope. Usually when this happens, genoutput spits a bunch of stuff out
to stderr before it dies, the output being what should have gone to stdout.

--
					:alex
Alex Crain
Systems Programmer			alex at umbc3.umbc.edu