Novice UNIX-PC Questions

Wolf Paul wnp at killer.DALLAS.TX.US
Wed Feb 15 02:01:50 AEST 1989

Hello All!

I have just purchased a used UNIX PC (1MB RAM, 40MB Hard Disk, Unix 3.51),
and wonder if someone could answer a few questions for me.

1. How can I access the "window" icon without a mouse, to switch between
   different login sessions without going through the user agent?

2. I looked at Emmet Grey's MTOOLS and notice that these programs use
   device names "/dev/rflp", "/dev/rflp40t8s1s", "/dev/rflp40t9s2s", etc.
   Can I just "mknod" these devices, and what would be the major/minor
   device numbers for them?

3. I have lots of source code on 360K diskettes written on my old
   Microport/AT system -- cpio format, on 40 track, 9 sector diskettes.
   Can my UNIX PC read these, and if so, what is the device I need to use?

4. Will the stock disk driver handle a high density floppy drive, or a
   3.5" floppy drive, and if so, how?

5. Is there a way to connect more than one floppy disk, and more than one
   hard disk, to this machine?

6. Is there a QIC-II interface for this machine?

Please mail your replies to killer!doulos!wnp or killer!wnp, or post them
to this group if you judge them of sufficient interest for others.

Wolf Paul
UUCP:   killer!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN: wnp at killer.dallas.tx.us       TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD