Novice UNIX-PC Questions

Peter Fales pfales at ttrde.UUCP
Thu Feb 16 08:36:01 AEST 1989

In article <7159 at killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, wnp at killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) writes:
> Hello All!

Hello

> I have just purchased a used UNIX PC (1MB RAM, 40MB Hard Disk, Unix 3.51),
> and wonder if someone could answer a few questions for me.
>
> 1. How can I access the "window" icon without a mouse, to switch between
>    different login sessions without going through the user agent?

Just push the "suspend" or "resume" key.  This will get you a menu of windows
from which you can select the one you want.  I highly recommend the fast
window switch from THE STORE.   With it, each time you hit Rsume you switch
to a new active window.

> 2. I looked at Emmet Grey's MTOOLS and notice that these programs use
>    device names "/dev/rflp", "/dev/rflp40t8s1s", "/dev/rflp40t9s2s", etc.
>    Can I just "mknod" these devices, and what would be the major/minor
>    device numbers for them?

There have been (at least) two versions of mtools posted to the net.  One
is designed for porting to various UNIX systems, and uses the
device names you mentioned.  Emmet has also posted a version specifically
for the UNIX-PC.  I compiled and ran it with no changes to the source or
my system whatsoever.

> 3. I have lots of source code on 360K diskettes written on my old
>    Microport/AT system -- cpio format, on 40 track, 9 sector diskettes.
>    Can my UNIX PC read these, and if so, what is the device I need to use?

I am sure it is possible to write a program (witness mtools) to do this.
With standard tools, I suspect it may be difficult.   UNIX expects a VHB
(Volume Header Block) in the first block which includes things like number
of tracks, and sectors per track.  /dev/rfp020 is the partition which
includes the entire disk, and /dev/rfp021 is the partition which includes
all of the disk except the VHB, loader, etc. and is the device normally
used for cpio and such.

> 4. Will the stock disk driver handle a high density floppy drive, or a
>    3.5" floppy drive, and if so, how?

I have heard of someone using a 720K 3.5 inch or 5.25 inch
disk.  All it takes is a new VHB specifying the additional tracks.  However,
it will not (with the stock software) be able to read 360K drives as
will.  (See below).

> 5. Is there a way to connect more than one floppy disk, and more than one
>    hard disk, to this machine?

Not easily.  The people with 720K drives I have heard about kludge up
a mechanical switch to allow access to the original 360K drive as well
as an additional floppy.  1.2 MB or 1.44 disks would not be possible without
hardware changes.

There has been much talk on the net about putting multiple hard disks
on the machine, but there is no way to do it short of hardware mods to
the motherboard.  Several people have (or will) offer kits and instructions
to perform this upgrade.

> 6. Is there a QIC-II interface for this machine?

Not to my knowledge.  AT&T sells (used to sell?) an exorbitantly priced
23MB tape backup unit compatible with the CTC tapes used on the 3B2.

Pete
--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 2F-217
				200 Park Plaza