MIDI

J. Eric Townsend erict at flatline.UUCP
Sat Jul 8 12:02:23 AEST 1989

Out of curiosity, why is this on both u-p.g and c.o.os9?

In article <8928 at ihlpf.ATT.COM> gmark at ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) writes:
>I'd like to eventually get together a MIDI interface for my PC, which
>happens to be a 3B1.  So, first, I'd like to get a description of
>the pinouts of those funny little MIDI connectors on my keyboard.

MIDI is a serial protocol.  Only two of the wires are actually used.
(Ever build a unix-to-unix serial line with just two wires?  That's
they way MIDI works.)

A recent issue of Amiga Transactor had a do-it-yourself RS232 <-> MIDI
project that consisted of one correctly placed resistor.  Now you
just have to deal with the UNIX lack-of-precise-timing problems that
are involved.  "Dr. Dobbs" has a book called (I think) _C Programming
for MIDI_.  It's wrapped around the PC, of course, but I think you
could easily munge many of the functions to unix.

Also, there is a package "glib" (pronounced as one syllable: "guhlib"),
that is a patch librarian/editor.  It runs on a variety of platforms,
and has code for several major synths (and instructions on how to write
it for your own system).
--
"Dope beats and lyrics -- no beepers needed."
J. Eric Townsend -- uunet!sugar!flatline!erict  || cosc5zz at george.uh.edu
511 Parker #2, Houston, Tx 77007
EastEnders Mailing list: eastender at flatline.UUCP