Too much cross-posting?

Bud Hovell bbh at whizz.uucp
Sun Jul 9 03:55:23 AEST 1989

In article <157 at zorch.UU.NET> scott at zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
>In article <171 at zebra.UUCP> vern at zebra.UUCP (Vernon C. Hoxie) writes:
>>I also would like to know why distribution of the unix-pc group is so
>>difficult to come by.  I have been trying for the last year to get it here.
>
>I can't answer this question, but to the best of my knowledge, many/all unix-pc
>sites are willing to establish connections.  I set up two extra connections
<deleted: explanation of arrangements for possible news-feed of unix-pc groups>

Scott - and any others of you out there who so generously provide support to
other Unix PC sites who want the newsgroups and cannot get them locally:

I want to be clear in my fundamental question about this subject: why are we
setting up an ALTERNATE network? Having a Trailblazer is nice - do you think
*most* sites have that capability? Is that the price that is expected in
order to gain routine access? Does one have to buy a Magic Decoder Ring and
learn the secret handshake, also? This is starting to sound like a Mason's
meeting, not a libertarian forum for sharing of information.

Look. Either you define the validity of moving this group to the main newsfeed
based on:

	* NUMBER OF READERS, or......

	* VOLUME OF TRAFFIC

I remain unconvinced (but willing to be) that *many* of the official groups
out there in Netland would *not* qualify to be continued on *either* basis,
if you applied *either* of these criteria.

And by the same token, I'd guess that by those criteria, the unix-pc group(s)
would weigh in as far more qualified than some of the groups now routinely
carried.

In other words, the continuance of the status of this group as an off-brand,
tough-to-get service cannot *possibly* be based on similarity of treatment
to other groups that no one even questions should be in the official feed.
So what *is* the basis for this approach?

Is there something going on here that I should be reading between the lines
and have missed altogether? Should we be cross-posting not only to comp.sys.att,but also to alt.sex.s&m?

                                 Bud Hovell

USENET: ...!{sun!nosun|tektronix!percival}!whizz!{bbh|postmaster|sysadmin}
USPO:   McCormick & Hovell, Inc., PO Box 1812, Lake Oswego, OR  USA 97035
MOTD:   "Vote NO!"