Too much cross-posting?

Scott Hazen Mueller scott at zorch.UU.NET
Mon Jul 17 02:25:02 AEST 1989

In article <490 at manta.pha.pa.us> brant at manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>For those folks, the solution is: join the unix-pc mailing list.
>The mailing list is the solution, and it's already operating.  All it could
>use is a little advertising.

With reference to this point, I've been thinking of a monthly posting to
comp.sys.att announcing the existence of the list.  It should be a short
posting, so people can read it, with a fixed Subject: line so other people
can put it into their kill files...  :-)

>I really do think it arrogant to expect that 10,000+ sites, most with little
>or no interest in unix-pc's, should spend THEIR money, time, and effort
>supporting OUR habits.

And before anyone suggests that a mailing list still makes other sites (those
on the mail paths) carry our load, let me point out that *mail* traffic
through a site is carried without question.

A point of curiousity, to those who were not here at the time:  The unix-pc
mailing list arose out of a previous round of discussion on the topic of
merging unix-pc.* and comp.sys.att.  At that time, I had proposed gatewaying
unix-pc.* traffic into comp.sys.att, but since there was no consensus, I
announced that I would start a mailing list and would bring the topic up again
at such time as the number of subscribers to the list justified it.  It has
been a year and a half and there have been at no time more than 35 addresses
on the list.  Thus, my position that moving the unix-pc.* discussions into
the Usenet mainstream is not justified.
--
Scott Hazen Mueller| scott at zorch.UU.NET (pyramid|tolerant|uunet)!zorch!scott
685 Balfour Drive  | (408) 298-6213    |Send mail to fusion-request at zorch.UU.NET