Too much cross-posting?

Dave Ihnat ignatz at chinet.chi.il.us
Tue Jul 18 05:47:30 AEST 1989

In article <170 at zorch.UU.NET> scott at zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:

>And before anyone suggests that a mailing list still makes other sites (those
>on the mail paths) carry our load, let me point out that *mail* traffic
>through a site is carried without question.

Not true, my friend.  I, and others I know, run UUCP statistics programs and
scripts (such a uucp.stat, traffic, etc.) and watch for abusers.  I've
identified excessive volume users--1Mb or more per week--and informed them that
if they want to move that volume of mail, they should arrange direct links.

Many sites agree to unrestricted Email forwarding because it tends to be a
reasonable number of low-volume messages; these same sites may not be able to
support USENET, either because they've only low-speed modems (<=2400BPS),
limited disk space and/or CPU cycles, or limited telephone budgets.  People who
route high-volume, regular mailing lists through such sites without prior
agreement are anti-social in the extreme, and may properly expect objection
from the site managers.

		Dave Ihnat
		ignatz at homebru.chi.il.us (preferred return address)
		ignatz at chinet.chi.il.us