'rn' isn't marking cross-posts (was 'Too much cross-posting?')

Greg A. Woods woods at eci386.uucp
Tue Jul 18 01:21:01 AEST 1989

In article <698 at whizz.uucp> bbh at whizz.UUCP (Bud Hovell) writes:
> In article <970 at rush.cts.com> bob at rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) writes:
> >In article <694 at whizz.uucp> bbh at whizz.UUCP (Bud Hovell) writes:
> > >Yes - 'rn' seems to have a problem here. The site name aortuars in the Xrefs
> > >line, but still doesn't mark cross-postings as read. Any gurus out there who
> >
> >Why don`t I have a probelm with this?  I never read something twice.  I will
>
> >admit that one single article which is cross-posted will show up as something
> >like "1 article in unix-pc.general, 1 article in comp.sys.att" but when I go
> >to read them, I *never* see it twice.  Is the current problem just that you`re
> >bothered by being told that you`ve got one more article that you should be?

No, that's not the problem.  I, however, do have a related problem
to this cross-posting nonsense.  Though I had been confused with
Xref's in the beginning, my real reason still remains.  I do not
read the unix-pc.all groups unless I'm really bored (and yes, I do
have interest in Unix PC's).  However, with all this cross-
posting, I have to put up with it in comp.sys.att anyway.  Not to
mention the fact that it's all jumbled up with many of the unix-pc
groups _all_ being coss-posted to comp.sys.att.

I think those people who are trying to be do-gooder's and increase
the circulation of their postings should think a bit more about
the consequences.  This gratuitous jumble in comp.sys.att is much
to difficult to read anyway.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft,gpu.utcs.UToronto.CA,utorgpu.BITNET}
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]		Toronto, Ontario CANADA