Too much cross-posting?

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Wed Jul 5 15:28:44 AEST 1989

In article <674 at whizz.uucp> bbh at whizz.UUCP (Bud Hovell) writes:
|>Over the past several months, I've become increasingly aware of the huge
|>percentage of articles which cross-post between comp.sys.att and unix-pc.*.
|>When I get into comp.sys.att (second in order in my .newsrc), I find
|>myself virtually wearing out the 'n' key. (An intuitive guess is that fully
|>70% of the comp.sys.att traffic that I see arriving here is cross-posted
|>stuff from unix-pc.*).

I have unix-pc.* first also in my .newsrc file.  With rn compiled with
the DOXREFS option turned on, you shouldn't have this problem.   If the
article was READ, JUNKED, KILLED, etc.. in a previous group, and it is
properly cross-posted to another (later group), you will not see it there.
Of course if you leave it marked as unread, you'll have no choice in
seeing it again later (if it is cross-posted).

I suggest recompiling rn, that should save your "n" key...

|>I know there has been some discussion of this in the past - why has it been
|>decided to leave the unix-pc group a non-standard group not to be carried
|>routinely in the standard feed? Who benefits - and how?

unix-pc distribution is a very specific distribution, as you already know ...
It is being carried by almost any large "backbone" (uunet, rutgers, att, etc..)
site.  Many other nodes also carry it.  For those who don't get it, and want
it, they should talk to their news feeds (most likely they can get it
if they try...)   I've always been willing to feed those people who
have Trailblazers (call me at my office 516-589-7930, see network maps for
node alps ...), and I'm sure others would be willing to volunteer feeding
this small amount off traffic unix-pc.* generates.

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 589-7930
lenny at icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576