AT&T Support & Low End machines (was Re: Too much cross-posting?)

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Sat Jul 22 14:15:36 AEST 1989

In article <443 at mccc.UUCP> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
|>In article <1677 at sialis.mn.org> rjg at sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
|>=comp.sys.att is and is not, at the same time, an appropriate place for
|>=unix-pc discussions.  The 3b1/7300 is an AT&T product.  AT&T does
|>=support the machine in a fashion, and does provide peripherals (sorta :-)
|>
|>???  My latest call to the hot line produced, "Press 2 if you need
|>support on the 3B line or the 7300."  That *sounds* like support.  OTOH,
|>I expect that support and the support for 3B2 <= 400 to disappear pretty
|>soon, based on the number of 3B2/400s that AT&T is giving away.  ;-)

Yes, Pete, the hotline is required by law to support the 3B1/7300 (hardware
wise) for 5 years from the manufacturer discontinued date.  This is known
as the "5 year decay period."

According to our AT&T rep, there will be no more low end 3B2, only the
3B2/500 and up will be sold (ie. 310's and 400's won't be sold anymore).
Also the AT&T 6286WGS will be the only MSDOS only machine sold by AT&T
(ie. no more 6300WGS and 6312WGS).  Of course they are doing this to
push their 6386WGS line.

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 589-7930
lenny at icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576