Help needed on my UNIX-PC....

Randall W. Robinson rrobinson at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Wed Jul 26 06:35:12 AEST 1989

In article <4700001 at spdyne> root at spdyne.UUCP writes:

>Greetings:

>        2) It is a rather old version of UNIX.  (no vi!!! - I wouldn't
>           have ever guessed that someone was selling a 'UNIX' without
>           vi!  Especally not AT & T!  Oh, well... Live and learn..
>           (Maybe it comes with the soft dev. kit?)

vi does come with the development utils.

>        3) I need more Ram.  1 Meg is not very much.

1 Meg is not much, but if this is intended as a system with one user on
at a time, there is little problems with it.

>        4) I Need a Mouse.  It didn't come with one and it would be nice
>           to have one.

!!!! Should have been with the system !!!

>        7) I would like a SCSI board for it... (Not a high on my list yet.)

As would many others too.  There have been two(?) companies that have
work(ed) on this.  No complete product that I am aware of.

>        8) I might like to get the DOS board/Software

It is only 70% compatible (or so I've been told)

>        9) I would like to upgrade the internal modem (s?? 2 lines - 2
>           modems??) - to 2400 baud.  Can this be done?

There has been other discussions on this.  As I recall, nobody figured
out how to do it.

>        9) ** Most important ** I would like to get any documentation that
>           is availiable for it, including Schematics for it. (I'm dreaming
>           right?)

AT&T used to sell it.  Maybe they still do.

>    Also, is there any way to make the internal modem connect ONLY after
>6 rings?  What I want to do is to have the answering machine pickup after
>4 rings, then while it's resetting UUCP will try again, and this time
>the answering machine will just let the phone ring - 8 times from my
>tests, and the computer will take the call... It should work like a charm.

I do not know how to set the number of rings, but if you have one phone
line only and you use either the "phtoggle" command in your crontab to
set hours when the computer will answer or there is several
"ph_set_this_or_thats" that have ran around the internet.  If this isn't
good enough, there is a product (I have forgotten the name)  that will
answer the phone and route to either a computer or go on to the phone,
depending on the touch tone response that you provide to it.

>        Chert Pellett
>        root at spdyne   || elwiz at attctc

-- Randall W. Robinson

rrobinson at ames.arc.nasa.gov