Help needed on my UNIX-PC....

root at spdyne.UUCP root at spdyne.UUCP
Tue Jul 25 01:28:09 AEST 1989

Greetings:

    I just bought a UNIX PC with 1 Meg of Ram, 40 Meg disk and all...
And I have a few problems:

        1) Contrary to my understanding, it did not come with the Development
           System.  ('C' Lang. Compiler etc..)

        2) It is a rather old version of UNIX.  (no vi!!! - I wouldn't
           have ever guessed that someone was selling a 'UNIX' without
           vi!  Especally not AT & T!  Oh, well... Live and learn..
           (Maybe it comes with the soft dev. kit?)

        3) I need more Ram.  1 Meg is not very much.

        4) I Need a Mouse.  It didn't come with one and it would be nice
           to have one.

        5) I would like to upgrade the OS to 3.51 (Current?) It is currently
           at 3.0.

        6) I would like to hang at least one serial port of the thing.
           (No, the one that came with it is hosed, tho I'm going to
            go in there with a Scope and see if I can trace it down...)

        7) I would like a SCSI board for it... (Not a high on my list yet.)

        8) I might like to get the DOS board/Software

        9) I would like to upgrade the internal modem (s?? 2 lines - 2
           modems??) - to 2400 baud.  Can this be done?

        9) ** Most important ** I would like to get any documentation that
           is availiable for it, including Schematics for it. (I'm dreaming
           right?)

I talked to AT & T - 3 different 800 numbers... And I have talked to the
three dealers that they gave me on the last call... So far, I'm lucky if
they have even heard of the machine.... One tried to sell me UNIX for the
386 - said it should work....[Gave up on that vendor...]

    I talked to Technical Resource Center (800-433-4904) and they
wanted to sell me a RAM board for it (w/0K) for only $1,200!  Gee, I
could get a 286 with 4 Serial ports and UNIX for about that price...
(and of course 1Mb ram...)   After the fourth time I asked the guy,
he checked on the board a little more and found out that it also
had 2 serial ports on it..

    If AT & T is not willing to sell the Soft. Dev. kit anymore, is there
anyone out there who would be so kind as to tar it up and UUCP / US-Mail
it to me? [or sell me their copy?] I'll trade ya Dbase 3 for it...

    Also, is there any way to make the internal modem connect ONLY after
6 rings?  What I want to do is to have the answering machine pickup after
4 rings, then while it's resetting UUCP will try again, and this time
the answering machine will just let the phone ring - 8 times from my
tests, and the computer will take the call... It should work like a charm.

    Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me on this...

        Chert Pellett
        root at spdyne   || elwiz at attctc