wanted: info on Micropolis 1355

Gary S. Trujillo gst at gnosys.UUCP
Fri Jul 28 05:50:11 AEST 1989

I recently discovered a Boston-area source (which does mail-order) for
the Micropolis model 1355, which has a formatted capacity of 159 Mbytes
(it's 170 Mbytes unformatted).  The drive has eight heads with 1024
cylinders, so I'm assuming it wouldn't require the P5.1 upgrade, though
it would need the WD2010 chip (right?).  It uses the MFM recording scheme,
and has an access time of about 22msec, I believe.  The price is $799
(plus an extra $25 for repackaging if you order less than four).

Anyway - does anyone know whether this drive could be used with the 3B1?
(I'm assuming it's a full-height, since the 1335, which has a lower capacity
is itself full-height.  I have the 67Mbyte model 3B1, so the enclosure is no
problem.)

I sent a note to C. M. Votava, who posted a disk list back in February,
but my message bounced.  If he sees this, he's invited to send me an
address, so I can pass on any information I get.  I'll also summarize my
findings to the net, and will pass on the name of the dealer, if there's
interest.

--
Gary S. Trujillo			      {linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
Somerville, Massachusetts			  {ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst