turning off terminal causing deadly embrace

Dave Ford dfjr at mathcs.emory.edu
Wed Jul 5 08:47:56 AEST 1989

In article <304 at denwa.uucp> jimmy at denwa.UUCP (Jim Gottlieb) writes:
>Any idea why when I turn off the terminal connected to tty001,
>immediately the SD and RD lights start going continuously on the modem
>on tty000 and bring the machine to a halt?  Is this a grounding
>problem?  Thanks.
>--
>                              Jim Gottlieb
>  E-Mail: <jimmy at denwa.uucp> or <jimmy at pic.ucla.edu> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>
>         V-Mail: (213) 551-7702  Fax: 478-3060  The-Real-Me: 824-5454

 have had a similar problem, though I have no terminal (and in fact no tty001
 port...).  I upgraded from 3.5 to 3.51, installed all the peripheral stuff,
 etc., and then set about running the machine through its paces.  Everything
 seemed to be OK until I tried to run ckermit (the new version, whichever one
 that is).  When I tried it, my modem lights started blinking just as described
 above.  The phone never got off-hook, and kermit just sat there as if nothing
 were wrong.  When I tried uw, it worked fine -- but then it uses the modemcap
 entry.  The bad part is that the modem lights will sometimes start to blink
 without help from kermit or anything else that uses tty000, but if I run uw
 during such a time, the modem settles down and obeys orders.  Stranger still,
 sometimes during these periods, the character echo in my shell gets munged
 and drops random characers (they are still entered, just not echoed).
 Rebooting doesn't help, and I know that kermit knows how to talk to my modem,
 since it has done it before.  Can anybody explain this behaviour?  I am
 tempted to return to 3.5, if this is the price for 3.51.

David Ford -- really a grad student at Duke
daf at cs.duke.edu