unix-pc news feed available (was Re: Too much cross-posting?)

Jan Isley jan at bagend.UUCP
Wed Jul 12 14:15:06 AEST 1989

In article <694 at whizz.uucp>, bbh at whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) writes:
> In article <20239 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
> >Private email I've received clearly indicates that MOST of the people who
> >NEED to receive the unix-pc.* groups are not receiving them, and they're
> >extremely thankful FOR the cross-postings to comp.sys.att from unix-pc.*

Anyone (except Bud Hovell) who wants to call Atlanta can get a unix-pc feed
from me at bagend at 1200, 2400, or PEP.  Of course, this information is in
my map entry.  I would think anyone looking for a such a feed could easily
find a site in the maps.

> Yes - 'rn' seems to have a problem here. The site name appears in the Xrefs
> line, but still doesn't mark cross-postings as read.

It works just fine here.

> >someone to simply type an "n"; are the lazy readers out there THAT calorie
> >conscious re: burning 1/2 calorie moving one's index finger?  :-)   Sheesh,

'rn' has another wonderful feature you may have forgotten about Bud,
next time you are reading the unix-pc group, just type 'u' and some of our
problems in this group will go away.

> >are people that unable to cope with the vagaries of Usenet?

No, but some people are unable to cope with a world that does not behave
exactly like they want it to.  Starting an argument is much easier than
fixing software or simply learning how to get along with a system that works.

> I fail to grasp the logic that says that if only 15% of the people who want to
> read the group can actually do so, that the obvious remedy is to cross-post
> everything to another group that everyone *can* read.

I do not recall the word logic ever being mentioned in any of the 'official'
documents/policies regarding Usenet.  Anarchy comes to mind though.

> Just get rid
> of the one group and post everything to the other. Or is it intended that the
> unix-pc.* group(s) are a 'private network' which is mostly available only
> to people who are willing to jump thru the necessary hoops to finally get a
> feed? And, dammit, I want to know when I get my Magic Decoder Ring! It should
> have arrived by now, shouldn't it? Or do I have to call the Hotline?

Sorry, but this reminds me of the bully on the playground when I was in the
second grade.  This "I don't like the way you do something and if you don't
do it like I want you to I'm going to make a scene and stomp my feet" kind of
attitude is really not productive.  It takes up much more space on my system
than cross posting does and is certainly more tedious to have to wade through
to get to the useful information that the rest of us read the news for.

No, you cannot have a decoder ring.

Jan Isley, follower of Zen, picker of nit
jan at bagend | gatech!bagend!jan | (404) 434-1335