Too much cross-posting?

Karl Swartz kls at ditka.UUCP
Mon Jul 17 07:02:42 AEST 1989

In article <694 at whizz.uucp> bbh at whizz.UUCP (Bud Hovell) writes:
>Set up a committee to see how many we can blackball. Keep it elite.

Bud, *many* sites (including both of mine, ditka and royko) offer a
feed of the unix-pc groups to anybody who asks.  These offers have
been expressed many times in this newsgroup and comp.sys.att.  That
hardly constitutes blackballing anybody or keeping it elite.

>Or is it intended that the
>unix-pc.* group(s) are a 'private network' which is mostly available only
>to people who are willing to jump thru the necessary hoops to finally get a
>feed?

Do you expect Digital (for example) to carry newsgroups which they
care not one whit about across the country for you?  Do you expect
Tektronix to pull such groups to Portland for you?  True, this does
happen in many cases, but whining because somebody else won't pick
up the tab for you hardly seems just.

While there are many sites carrying the unix-pc groups who have
little interest in them (one might successfully argue that att is
among these sites) it only seems reasonable that the majority of
the sites paying to move the group around are UNIX PCs.

And again, your talk of how difficult it is to obtain a feed is
utter hogwash.  Feeds for these groups are easy to find if you
just open your eyes.

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP		uunet!lll-winken!ames!hc!rt1!ditka!kls
1-505/667-7777 (work)	|Internet	kls at rt1.lanl.gov
1-505/672-3113 (home)	|BIX		kswartz
"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education."  (Twain)