'rn' isn't marking cross-posts (was 'Too much cross-posting?')

John Macdonald jmm at eci386.uucp
Tue Jul 18 00:59:02 AEST 1989

In article <698 at whizz.uucp> bbh at whizz.UUCP (Bud Hovell) writes:
> [...]
>
>No - the SAME ARTICLE appears in full in, say, unix-pc.whatever, then later
>aortuars AGAIN in full in, say, comp.sys.att. And, yes, the Xrefs line has the
>site name in it, and news was compiled with DOXREFS. Everything else seems to
>function fine.
>
>Obviously, we are doing something wrong here locally. Once everything gets
>back to normal (we have been up and down for the past three days with hard-
>ware problems, now fixed), we'll go back and recompile 'rn', as Lenny suggests.
>
>                                 Bud Hovell

It might not be rn - it isn't for us.  Check whether you have any loops in
your news feeds (this is easy for me to say :-).  We are getting reruns in
our incoming feeds, with a long enough time delay that we may have already
deleted copy from the previous time around the loop.  (In fact, that was what
inspired Greg to post his original silly message.)  Part of the problem is
that our C news is expiring the history at the same time as the articles (I
think that this is happening because we're still using an alpha/beta release
of C news, I don't think that the posted release acts this way, and we're
gonna install the official release Real Soon Now...).
--
"Software and cathedrals are much the same -          | John Macdonald
first we build them, then we pray" (Sam Redwine)      |   jmm at eci386