printer on UNIX-PC

Ronald K. Wright rwright at novavax.UUCP
Fri Jul 28 20:45:19 AEST 1989

In article <14665 at rcsuna.UUCP> rhaar at rcsuna.UUCP (Bob Haar CS50) writes:

> I am having trouble interfacing the SMART word processor to a printer
>on my UNIX-PC and suspect a configuration mis-match. I'd appreciate any
>help/suggestions.

situation:	AT&T 7300 UNIX-PC
		UNIX - AT&T Sys V, release 3.5.1
		SMART System wordprocessor, v 3.03
		ATT's Laser on parallel port
		or
		ATT's 477 on parallel port

As Mr. Haar reports, the interfacing of Smart and the 7300 is quite rough
in the printer area.

After numerous numerous calls to ATT and smart, the latter folk being even
more unhelpful than the former, and there being some question as to the
difference between the two; I ended up with very odd and not to great
fixes.

To make the ATT laser work you have to set it to think it is a Qume.
You have to tell smart it is ATT455 and set the Printers in the 7300 to
ATT455.
This does not allow screen graphics.

To make the ATT477 work you have to set the printer to be a 470, and
smart and the 7300 to be a ATT470.
This does not allow color printing but does support screen print.

The ATT477 drive does not do 7300 screen printing, or as the Hotline said,
of course it doen't.

I am not too satified with the above, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Further, I have another machine connected to a Tandy DMP2100.
I have never been able to get that to work from smart....spooler not found
pops up.  And I have not been able to get a driver for that printer
from ATT any suggestions as to what might make that a little better?

Incidentally, inspite of the printer problem, the smart package is a tremendous word processor and spreadsheet combo.

Thanks.

rkw