printer on UNIX-PC

Bob Haar CS50 rhaar at rcsuna.UUCP
Thu Jul 27 00:01:00 AEST 1989

 I am having trouble interfacing the SMART word processor to a printer
on my UNIX-PC and suspect a configuration mis-match. I'd appreciate any
help/suggestions.

situation:	AT&T 7300 UNIX-PC
		UNIX - AT&T Sys V, release 3.5.1
		SMART System wordprocessor, v 3.03
		Okidata 192 printer with IBM compatible ROMs on parallel port

I had the printer working fine with all the standard UNIX-PC stuff
(lp spooler and screen-prints) by configuring the printer setup menu
(under UA) to be an IBM5152_002 printer on the parallel port. This was one
suggestions in the printer manual.

I recently installed the SMART System v 3.03 in order to get a WYSIWYG
text editor for my wife (a confirmed technophobe). The setup instructions
for this software said that to use an Oki 192 with IBM ROM's, to set
the SMART printer parameter to IBM graphics and the system printer to
Epson. When I do this, SMART finds the printer and can print in normal (draft)
mode. But if I try to print in enhanced mode (nicer printing and special fonts),
there are vertical gaps in the output. Screen prints also show this behavior
with the system printer set to Epson. I suspect that the printer is
expecting 8-bit data in the dot-addressable graphics mode but the system
is sending 7 bit values.

If I re-set the system printer configuration to IBM5152_002, screen dumps
work fine, but SMART complains that it cannot find the print spooler.

I then tried to fake the SMART software into think it had an Epson print
spooler, but use the IBM5152_002 interface. I used the UA printer setup
screen to select IBM5152_002. Then, I opened a UNIX window as root and
went to the dircetories under /usr/spool/lp. I linked the files
member/IBM5152_002 and interface/IBM5152_002 to member/Epson and
interface/Epson resp. I also created a directory request/Epson to parallel
request/IBM5152_002. I verified that all permissions, owners and groups
were identical. After this, all the UNIX-PC screen prints worked fine, but
SMART still complained that it couldn't find the print spooler. (it
was still configured for an IBM graphics printer).

Where else is the system printer configuration kept? Is there some other
means of using the IBM5152_002 interface, but making SMART think it
has an Epson printer?

	Robert Haar

	phone: (313) 986-1412 (work)
		     651-4183 (home)