Conductive Dust Bunnies

John B Scalia jb at aablue.UUCP
Sat Jul 1 01:16:04 AEST 1989

In article <1137 at vsi.COM> friedl at vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>In article <321 at cbnewsi.ATT.COM>, fiesta at cbnewsi.ATT.COM (eric.c.beck) writes:
>>
>> 	I thought the toner consisted of extremely fine plastic particles
>> which, after being attracted to the paper by a static charge, are melted
>> into the paper by the "hot plate" inside the copier.
>
>There are also toners that apparently have metal particles in them,
>because it is attracted to a magnet.  The Ricoh laser engine (used
>in AST TurboLaser, at least) has this kind of toner.  Does anybody
>know this is different from the non-ferrous kinds?

Steve, that's not really the same stuff. Toners are basically variations
of compounds made of carbon black with some carrier, usually a plastic.
(Xerox typically uses Styrene, Acrylate Copolymer, although some of the
older ones used exotic stuff like Bisphenol A Propylene Oxide Fumarate.)
Other brands will also have a mouthful for the carrier. The stuff with
the steel in it is the developer, something totally different yet required
for operation. Developer is often simply 95% steel shot or iron powder
and some lubricator. Again, Xerox uses Polymethylmethacrylate.

Yes, in some smaller machines, the mfgr may package both in the same
container, but it's unlikely. Your copier will, however, mix the 2 when
it runs. Typically, as well, you'll never come in contact with the
developer. Changing developer is for what you pay a service contract.
You may come in contact with the toner, as the end user is often expected
to add it as needed and neophytes often don't know how to be gentle with
the bottle and get it all over them, the room, etc.

None of this stuff is really toxic or dangerous. All of it is rather
stable. If you're really concerned about how healthy it is to be around
it, ask about getting a copy of any relevant Material Safety Data Sheets,
MSDS for short, on every applicable component in your copier. The
manufacturer/distributor is required by law to make these available to
you, and your employer must allow you access to these forms, again by law.
Conventional copiers will have 3 chemicals(?) that should be covered by
the MSDS's: Toner, Developer, and the photoreceptor itself. You may also
have copies of the MSDS forms for any cleaners, etc. it may use. Of
course, reading these things and making some sense out of them is another
matter.

Of course, if you need Xerox information, call 1-800-828-6571.

John B. Scalia
Just a guy at a firm that happens to sell copiers and is in charge of
the MSDS information.

--
A A Blueprint Co., Inc. - Akron, Ohio +1 216 794-8803 voice
UUCP:	   {uunet!}aablue!jb

Sometimes they do let me speak for the company, not today though.