3.51a Fix Disk

Robert J. Granvin rjg at sialis.mn.org
Sat Jul 29 23:28:19 AEST 1989

>> I am running the 3.5 foundation set and the 3.5 development set.  Recently,
>> I received a copy of the 3.51a fix disk from the folks at the AT&T hotline.
>> (After calling to request it, of course.)
>>
>> Now, when I went to apply it to my system, it ran through to a point where
>> it stopped, complained that the fixes could only be applied to a 3.51
>> system, and then backed out almost everything it had done.  What is the
>> truth of this complaint?  If I go through and manually apply the updates
>> to my system, will there be any problems?

Yes.

>There are fixdisks available from the hotline for 3.5. I just
>got a set in the mail yesterday. They are labeled:
>
>	3.5 FIX DISK V 2.0 UNIX PC
>
>	[...]
>
>I have not yet attempted to install them, are they the same as your
>fixdisks?

They will not be the same.

You cannot apply 3.5 OS fixes on the 3.51 operating system, and
neither can you do the reverse, apply 3.51 fixes to 3.5.  Attempting
to do so may result in some unexpectedly ugly things.   Applying them
by hand is possible, but there's a reason the scripts won't let you do
it.  They're not the same OS.

At the absolute _least_, it won't do you any good.  The bugs being
repaired by the 3.5 fixdisk(s) to the 3.5 OS are not the same bugs
being fixed by the 3.51 fixdisk(s) to the 3.51 OS.  They are not
different versions of the same fixdisk.  They are completely different
in scope and result.

Do not install the incorrect fixes.  Call up and get the correct
fixdisk sets.  You must specify the correct operating system you are
using, otherwise the Hotline will assuredly assume you are running
3.51.  Make sure you receive all sets if there are more than one.

________Robert J. Granvin________        INTERNET: rjg at sialis.mn.org
____National Computer Systems____          BITNET: rjg%sialis.mn.org at cs.umn.edu
__National Information Services__            UUCP: ...amdahl!bungia!sialis!rjg
 "Scotty!  I've gotta have motor functions in three minutes or we're all dead!"