which unix-pc files MUST be writeable by others?

Steve Simmons scs at lokkur.UUCP
Fri May 5 12:06:05 AEST 1989

In article <672 at cbnewsc.ATT.COM> danl at cbnewsc.ATT.COM (daniel.r.levy) writes:
>What I want to know is, WHAT WILL BREAK when I try to impose conventional ideas
>of UNIX security (please hold the wise cracks) upon a 3B1?  And I'd like to
>know it before I try it and hose up the machine.

Well Dan'l, the short answer is ALMOST NOTHING.  I did the appropriate find
on my system not just for directories but for *every* writable file.  Most
of them I found could be cleaned up with no risk.  A couple I was fairly
sure *had* to remain writable (/tmp, /usr/tmp, uucppublic) because system
functioning demanded it.  One, /usr/spool/news, has to remain writable
due to other stupid reasons.   There are a couple of accounting files
(utmp, wtmp, a few things in /usr/adm) that need to be writable.  Getting
right down to the bottom, everything else I made protected except
	/etc/drvtab
	/etc/timedsply
which I just couldn't figure out.

Disclaimer: I did this over a year ago, and am telling you from
memory.  But it's based on real work, not just my opinions.
Steve Simmons		...sharkey!lokkur!scs      scs at lokkur.dexter.mi.us
  "Gordon Way's astonishment at suddenly being shot dead was nothing to
       his astonishment at what happened next."  -- Douglas Adams