UNIX PC Questions

Bill Mayhew wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Fri May 26 01:57:27 AEST 1989

I bought my Unix PC from Technology Resorce Center in October of
1987.  I got the 2meg / 67 meg model and the Unix + Utilities.  The
whole tab came to ~$2150; the machine being $1500 and %650 for the
software.

They were willing to ship COD with no additional fee and instruct
UPS to accept a personal check.  This proved quite handy, as it
obviated the need to go to the bank for a special money order.

The TRC mahcines are drop shipped from a company named Elite Data
Systems, which is another comany in California.  I was somewhat
surpirsed when I received a bill for $2150 from Elite Data Systems
in March of 1988m, but one phone call was all that was necessary to
straighten out the situation.

There is a person at TRC named Ellis Goldberg who is reasonably
knowledgeable about the Unix PC and can help you get the pieces
that you want to get a reasonable system for your application.

There are threee caviats:  1.  TRC proved somewhat slow; about
1-1/2 months elasped between placing and receiving my order.  They
blamed it on a short supply of 67 meg machines and having misplaced
the paperwork for my machine on one occasion.  2.  There was some
lack of communication between TRC and EDS which resulted in me
being billed twice; though this was *very* quickly resolved.  3.
TRCs prices for everything other than the Unix PC aren't very
competitive.

The advantage is that they are willing to set up a minimum-hassle
COD delivery.  I really do believe that UPS takes better care of
COD orders, as they know that if your item arrives smashed-up that
you probably aren't going to take delivery.

I guess that about says it all.

Bill
wtm at impulse.UUCP