whining disks

Ivan Soleimanipour ivan%djomolungma at Sun.COM
Wed May 3 19:29:33 AEST 1989

All those suggestions to fix the whining due to the disk tab ...

First, if you pushed the tab "up" (towards the spindle) you'll be back
there in less than two months opening the guts of your machine and
pushing it in again. i've tried putting stuff around it, to keep the
pressure on, but that doesn't help either. So far i've done it about 5
times in two years.  (i know that doesn't add up with the 2 months, but
it's a question of patience).

As for pushing the tab the other way .... whew ... you're talking about
all of my software. Admittedly ??? from Convergent claimed that some of
the newer disks are even shipped w/o the static tab. But all my other
buddies around here recommend i _dont'_ cut that connection, or i'll be
eventually getting more and more hard errors until the disk will need
to go to a hospital.