3b1 40meg disk woes: Help

Bruce Becker bdb at becker.UUCP
Sun May 7 02:01:11 AEST 1989

In article <1989May5.150438.13740 at ziebmef.uucp> cks at ziebmef.UUCP (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
|In article <17733 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
|| HOWEVER: to prevent fartleberries accumulating in the file system, it IS a
|| good idea to "shutdown" and "reboot" every week or so ... but keep the power
|| applied to the system.
|
| Do these actually accumulate on the UNIX-PC? I try to keep my system
|up for as long as possible (the only problem I've found so far is that
|/etc/wmgr accumulates memory, so you have to kill and restart it every
|now and then), and after routine shutdowns and startups, fsck never
|seems to find any problems. Have people observed the infamous SysV
|disappearing-inodes problem on their machines? Are there other FS
|problems people have encountered?

	I have never run up against the problem, even though
	I've had the machine up for months at a time, with
	*lots* of disk activity - news & many uucp connections
	exercise a disk drive & file system pretty good.
	The main problem seems to be that fsck *always* runs
	twice at reboot time. I'm not sure why that is, but I
	seem to recall that it did not happen "at the beginning",
	but started happening fairly early on.
	Also, the quota system has never worked 8^) - I guess
	that 2nd drive will help whenever the interface is up
	& running...

Cheers,
--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb at becker.UUCP, bruce at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
 `/v/-e	 BitNet:   BECKER at HUMBER.BITNET
_<  >_	 "Where is Newton Minow now that we need him?" - T. S. Eliot