3b1 40meg disk woes: Help

Bob Ames bob at rush.howp.com
Mon May 1 17:06:30 AEST 1989

In article <694 at mccc.UUCP> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>Uh, Bob -- just as most people say "baud" when they mean "bits per
>second", most people use "3B1" as an all-inclusive noun meaning all Unix
>PCs, i.e. the "real" 3B1 as well as the 7300.  The 7300 HDs do not auto-park.

I don't.  I use UNIXPC when I wish to refer generically to the type of
computer.  If I wish to refer to 10/20M machines, I say 7300.  If I wish
to refer to full-height machines, I say 3B1.

Perhaps I should have included a mention that the 7300s are different
from 3B1s.  You are correct, and I was more clear in an internal memo,
that the half-height drives DO NOT autopark.

The word UNIX PC is on the front of all production UNIX PCs of which I'm
aware.  Some early pre-production models had PC 7300 on the lower right
under the monitor.

Bob

Bob Ames   The National Organization for  the Reform of Marijuana Laws, NORML
"Pot is the world's best source of complete protein, alcohol fuel, and paper,
is the best fire de-erosion seed, and is america's largest cash crop." - USDA
bob at rush.cts.com or ncr-sd!rush!bob at nosc.mil  or rutgers!ucsd!ncr-sd!rush!bob
619-743-2546 "We each pay a fabulous price for our visions of paradise," Rush