UNIX PC Questions

rohan kelley rk at bigbroth.UUCP
Sun May 28 23:18:27 AEST 1989

In article <1645 at neoucom.UUCP>, wtm at neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

> I bought my Unix PC from Technology Resorce Center in October of
> 1987.  I got the 2meg / 67 meg model and the Unix + Utilities.  The
> whole tab came to ~$2150; the machine being $1500 and %650 for the
> software.

Let me add my observations re dealing with TRC.

If you're interested in mail order DOS & friends software, hardware,
etc. buy computer shopper and shop for the lowest price.  However,
there is virtually nobody who speaks unix whom you can buy from at a
discount.  I used to think that their was no such word as discount in
the unix language.

TRC is an exception.  I bought a 2meg/67meg unixpc from them and
recently bought their own OEM equivalent of the Bell Tech MPE - 386/25,
389meg disk, 4 meg memory, etc.  Their prices are the best around if
you want unix stuff and they shipped promptly to me on both occasions.
Ellis Goldberg, the fellow in charge, is knowledgable in unix and works
hard to give good service and keep his prices rock bottom.  Look at
their latest ad in Unix World.  No mail order house that works on
minimum margins can give you the service and support you expect (but
often don't get) from the local BIG-COMPUTER-STORE.  If you don't need
a lot of support and are satisfied to work with the manufacturer's
warranty, go with TRC.  Also, they just told me that on their 386
machines, they can now arrange on-location service through intel who
manufacturers their OEM 386 box.

Bill Mayhew mentioned a connection with Elite which had dropshipped his
hardware and there had been some confusion.  I happen to know that TRC
no longer has any connnection with Elite.

Rohan Kelley -- UNIleX Systems, Inc. (Systems and software for lawyers)
UUCP:  ...{gatech!uflorida,ucf-cs}!novavax!bigbroth!rk (office)
                                   novavax!mdlbrotr!rk (home)
ATTmail:  attmail!bigbroth!rk
3365 Galt Ocean Drive, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33308 Phone: (305) 563-1504

"Go first class or your heirs will" -somebodyelse