HPDeskJet on 7300 parallel port, con't....

Steven R. Houser srh at docwrk.UUCP
Thu May 11 20:47:31 AEST 1989

This is a continuation of my posting about the HP DeskJet that won't run
off my 7300 parallel port with a standard Centronics parallel cable....

I notice that my 7300 won't recognize the presence of the DeskJet no matter
what I call it--even if I set it up as printer Other.

I notice in my UNIXPC owner's manual that setup configurations are given
only for the the LaserJet (which the DeskJet emulates) as a SERIAL printer.
It doesn't seem to anticipate the LaserJet as a parallel printer.

Could this be what the problem is?  If so, I'm wondering if one of those
parallel-to-serial converters would let me connect a null modem RS-232 cable
from the serial port on the DeskJet to the parallel port on the 7300.  That
way the 7300 would be communicating with the DeskJet as a serial printer.
Does this strategy make any sense?  I'm extremely ignorant about printers,
and am just grasping at straws at this point.

The DeskJet is an excellent printer, and if I can't get it to run parallel,
I'll hang on to it and just use it as a serial printer.  But I'm used to
running a terminal off of the tty000 port, and hate to give that up.

Any suggestions or feedback will be appreciated.

Steve Houser
The Document Workshop
...uunet!osu-cis!n8emr!uncle!oink!docwrk!srh