That Mondo Combo card I told you about

Steve Simmons scs at lokkur.UUCP
Tue May 2 11:07:43 AEST 1989

I am croggled.  That's not a card, that a f*cking universe.  But
since you folks are laying the universe at our feet...

Primary question is $$$$$.

Several points on the RAM:

First, must the card "subdivide" two and two for main memory
and ram disk?  I have a 1.5MB oldie, and would appreciate
a 2.5/1.5 split, or even 3.0/1.0.  From my point of view it's
better to have 4.0 main ram + 1.0 ram disk than 3.0 with a 2.0
ram disk.

Will the memory interfaces (ZigZag? never heard of it.  Is it
a SIMM?) for the ram disk support the 4MB inlines?  Be nice to
convert that 2MB ram to 8MB.  Friends who follow the industry
closely claim ram prices will nosedive in Sept/Oct, when
(literally) everyone's 4Mb chip plants go on line simultaneously.

Device driver for the RAM disk?

Interfaces:

>   8 serial ports        2 asynch with full modem pinouts
>                         2 ports synchronous [BOP/COP] capable with DMA
This looks contradictory.  Do you mean 2 full modem asynch,
2 partial, and 2 synch?  Can't tell from the details.

Will the serial ports use std 3b1 serial drivers?  Or can I
run my TB at 19.2?  Yes, I see the serial chips support 19.2
and higher (higher! on a 3b1.  jeez.)

>   SCSI                  with DMA

Device driver?  Will it support synchronous SCSI?

> I/O     Obviously all of this I/O presents a connector problem . . .

No kidding!  It sounds like you've been seriously thinking about it,
but from the description it's not coming clear.  Can someone do up
a drawing?  Sticking out 3-5 inches from the back sounds decidedly
risky -- but it sounds like this can be snapped off, ribbon
cabled, and mounted elsewhere.  Right?

>               Still trying to decide the number of pins for SCSI
>               which is normally 50 (2x25), but will fit on 25
>               (2x13) if you don't mind a funny cable.

Hmm.  If by funny cable you mean something like the Macintosh standard
I'd vote for that.  Otherwise I vote 2x25.  Any savings that require
custom cables aren't really worth it.

Mondo combo, indeed!
Steve Simmons		...sharkey!lokkur!scs      scs at lokkur.dexter.mi.us
  "Gordon Way's astonishment at suddenly being shot dead was nothing to
       his astonishment at what happened next."  -- Douglas Adams