That Mondo Combo card I told you about

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Mon May 1 05:21:48 AEST 1989

What you see below is the text of a letter from John Lydic. Return mail to him
should come to me as he is not yet on the net. The meeting refered to below
was attended by: John Lydic (not on the net yet), John Milton (jbm at uncle),
Jim Prior (jep at oink), Gary Sanders (gws at n8emr), Greg Ratcliff (gwr at nz8r) and
James Nugen (jcn at uncle).

John
---

   Date: 4/26/89
   From: !ka8lvz!jwl

   John,

      Here is the information on the new 3B1 combo card.  The design is
   90% complete and is just waiting on the AT&T documents to doublecheck
   the last of the design.  We'll convene another meeting of the group to
   review the schematics in about a month.  The layout can start shortly
   after that.  It looks as though the bus spec for this thing is real
   loose compared to other 68K systems I've worked with.  I am trying to
   avoid PALs if possible to make the board more generic for other hackers
   who may not have our resources.  With luck, we could see prototype
   hardware by mid to late summer.

      General Board Spec
      ------------------

   8 serial ports        2 asynch with full modem pinouts
                         2 ports synchronous [BOP/COP] capable with DMA

   SCSI                  with DMA

   4 Meg Memory          2 meg linear addressed for processor memory
                         2 meg bank addressed for RamDisk

   Modem                 103/202 compatable connected in parallel with
                         output from synchronous serial for packet

      Details, Details, Details
      -------------------------

   Serial ports:         Three (3) Signetics 2681 Duarts for general serial
                         communications.  One of these is the big pinout
                         part with all of the modem control lines connected.
                         One (1) Signetics 68562 Dual Universal Serial
                         Communications Controller (DUSCC).  This part will
                         support baud rates through 38.4K plus 56K and 115K.
                         The DUSCC may be used for standard asynchronous
                         communications or may be used in synchronous mode
                         for COP (BiSync) or BOP (HDLC) with numerous CRC
                         algorithms.

   SCSI                  One (1) Western Digital 33C93 SCSI Bus Interface
                         Controller (SBIC) is used to handle the SCSI port.
                         The SBIC has its' own 48ma output drivers, and
                         contains numerous "combination" commands to make
                         software management and interrupt overhead minimal.

   Memory                Two (2) megabytes linear addressed processor memory
                         and two (2) megabytes bank addressed auxilliary
                         memory for use as RamDisk, etc.  Both of the banks
                         employ 1 megabit ZigZag Inline Packages (ZIP).
                         The processor memory contains byte parity, and a
                         refresh scheme both consistant with the standard 3B1
                         memory scheme.  The auxillary memory contains word
                         parity and may be addressed on word boundaries only.
                         Parity errors during reads, are detected by reading
                         a status register after the transaction.

   Modem                 One (1) Rockwell 7910 World Modem Chip is used to
                         enable amateur packet software to directly control
                         a transceiver on one channel at 300/1200 baud.  This
                         chip is used in the Kantronics TNC and appears to
                         work well enough (better than those drifting PLLs
                         in my HD-4040).  In addition, addressable latches
                         are employed to allow control of two radio channels
                         (PTT, etc), without having to keep an image of the
                         latch.

   DMA                   One (1) 684x0 DMA controller is employed in two
                         possible configurations.  If a 68440 (2 channel)
                         is used, a channel is available for the SBIC as
                         well as a half duplex channel for one of the DUSCC
                         ports (The same port with the modem connected).
                         If a 68450 (4 channel) is used, the two channels from
                         68440 are available as well as a full duplex channel
                         pair for the other DUSCC port.  Allowing DMA use
                         on the DUSCCs can enable the 3B1 to do dual-channel
                         packet radio at up to 56K with an external modem
                         (or maybe 115K if modems become available).
                         NOTE that I say modems, NOT TNCs, because the 3B1s'
                         hardware would handle all levels except the physical
                         layer.

   I/O                   Obviously all of this I/O presents a connector
                         problem which will be resolved with the scheme
                         we came up with at our last meeting.  The SCSI,
                         modem outputs, and radio control lines will be
                         on the board on standard dual inline headers.
                         Still trying to decide the number of pins for SCSI
                         which is normally 50 (2x25), but will fit on 25
                         (2x13) if you don't mind a funny cable.  The modem
                         and radio control lines will be on the second.
                         The ribbon cables for this I/O will just come out
                         the back of the 3B1.  I think the scheme Gary (N8EMR)
                         came up with will work OK for the serial I/O.  To
                         refresh your memory, and explain for the net, the
                         new card will extend about 3-5 inches out the back
                         of the computer.  Eight (8) PCB vertical mount DB25S
                         connectors as well as eight (8) RJ45 telephone style
                         connectors will be mounted on this extension.  In
                         addition the layout will contain space for 2 dual
                         inline headers, one inside the computer, and the
                         other on the extension.  The serial I/O may be used
                         by simply plugging into the piece of the board that
                         extends out the back, or the extension may be trimmed
                         off and mounted separately employing the headers and
                         yet more ribbon cable to connect it to the main board.

      For the NET
      -----------

      The board design is relatively firm as far as chip selection, etc.,
      but we could use some input on a few of the final details.

      Since only two of the eight serial ports will support full RS-232
      handshaking, we could use 6 DB9S, and that might make room, for
      some of the modem or radio signals to be brought out.

      The 7910 World Modem Chip is relatively old and other better, cheaper,
      more capable chips may be available.  This is not my area of expertise,
      so let us know if there is any information that may help us, out there.

John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:764-2933; AMPR: 44.70.0.52;  Don't FLAME, inform!