3B1 EIA/RAM Combo Boards

Robert J. Granvin rjg at sialis.mn.org
Fri May 5 11:34:39 AEST 1989

>We have a question about upgrading 3B1 boards.  Are the boards that came
>with 0.5 meg socketed for the whole 1.5 meg?  I can't just pull the board
>out of the machine in question because its about 3 hours away from here.
>I understand that all the support chips for the extra memory are there,
>so it would make sense that the sockets be there, too.

The EIA/RAM Combo Boards can all be populated to 1.5 MB no matter how
they came populated.  Make sure you have the documentation on the
board available.  Depending on what other boards you have in the
machine, you may have to place the board in specific slots.  Also, the
jumpers on board must be adjusted based on how much RAM you're putting
onboard.

.5 MB RAM boards are RAM only and can not have any RAM added to them.

Be cautious!  Also in existance are Dual Serial Port boards.  These
are identical to the EIA/RAM Combo Boards with the two serial ports,
but come with no RAM, and no sockets.  It's been widely discussed that
while these boards _may_ be able to be socketed for RAM, the amount of
work necessary (as per lack of specific parts?) makes it something to
just Not Be Considered.

(Correct me if I'm mistaken here.  But only once, please :-)

________Robert J. Granvin________   INTERNET: rjg at sialis.mn.org
____National Computer Systems____   CONFUSED: rjg%sialis.mn.org at shamash.cdc.com
__National Information Services__       UUCP: ...uunet!rosevax!sialis!rjg