3.5" floppy disk revisited on the UNIX pc ...

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.UUCP
Wed May 3 13:39:42 AEST 1989

In article <8366 at ihlpf.ATT.COM> cmv at ihlpf.UUCP (C M Votava) writes:
[who did the 3.5" floppy enhancement to the UNIX-pc]
>First, I simply replaced the existing floppy ribbon
>cable, with a stock IBM PC floppy ribbon cable (the one with connectors for
>2 floppys, without the "twist" in it). Next, I moved the drive select on the
>5.25" floppy from drive select 0 to drive select 1, and set the 3.5" floppy
>drive select to drive select 2. Then, all I had to do is wirewrap in a switch
>off of the connector on the 3.5" floppy that connects drive select 0 to either
>drive select 1, or drive select 2 to engage either drive.
>-Craig Votava  [att!]!ihlpf!cmv

Thanks Craig... this is 98% the same as what Lenny and I did.  I've been
swamped with requests for the details (which I will post, be patient, I'm
kind of in the middle of moving!).  Actually, I like Craig's method better
than the one I used (I cut the ribbon cable rather than using the existing
drive select).   In any event, those who want a head-start can simply use
this method.  I'll post the same thing (almost) in more detail in a week
or so.

------