What are these blasted UNIX pc manuals anyhow? (*LONG*)

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Thu Nov 9 04:45:33 AEST 1989

I've gotten several questions from individuals confusing what each
manual is, so I'm going to try a "group clarification" on what each
is...

	AT&T UNIX PC Reference Manual (also known as the UNIX PC
	Technical -or- Hardware Reference Manual) ...

	  This is the grand-daddy of all UNIX PC manuals, it contains
	  lots of information specifically the technical hardware related
	  information.   It's approximately 500 pages long and contains
	  the topics

		a) System Features and Functions (overview of the
		   entire hardware layout)
		b) Logic Board Theory of Operation
		c) Diagnostics
		d) Logic Board Test Procedures
		e) PAL Equations
		f) Mnemonics
		g) Expansion Memory Locations
		h) Motherboard Schematics (3 sets for different revisions)
		i) Floppy Tape Interface Theory of Operation & schematics
		j) EIA/RAM Combo board & schematics
		k) International Version Reference Manual Supplement
		l) DOS-73 Co-processor Theory of Operation
		m) TCP/IP WIN/3B Ethernet board Theory of Operation & schematics

	   The manual is printed on 8.5 x 11" paper, so the schematics are
	   reasonable size.  A must for the really serious UNIX pc hacker.

	AT&T UNIX PC Service Manual (My copy is dated back to 2/12/85, so it
	may have been updated after that)

	   The intended audience for this manual is the field personnel and
	   users interested in independently servicing and maintaining the
	   AT&T UNIX PC.  Topics included were:

		a) System Features and Functions (physical layout of the
		   unit).
		b) Using the diagnostics
		c) Troubleshooting
		d) Removing and Replacing Subassemblies (hard disk, fan,
		   monitor, etc..)
		e) Part numbers for "Field-Replaceable Items"
		f) Monitor Adjustment

	    This manual (although I never had an original) I found to
	    be *very* basic.  "How to open your UNIX pc?  Where the
	    fan is?  Part numbers?"  All which have been discussed here
	    before, or can be gotten from the Service Parts Guide that
	    comes with the Operating System.

	AT&T UNIX PC s4bus Specifications  (this manual wasn't ever for
	sale, it was basically available from the Product Manager when
	writing a letter to them).  Since there is no longer an UNIX pc
	in AT&T's mind, and the acting product manager probably doesn't
	have this, nor does he want to be bothered sending it out, I
	offered it in my UNIX PC Reference Manual deal)... ~35 pages.

	    Well this manual contained some "heavy" technical information
	    about the Expansion BUS of the UNIX pc/7300.  It was probably
	    intended for audiences who wanted to build UNIX pc expansion
	    cards (ie. a company like Alloy).    The manual contains:

		a) General Description
		b) Standards
		c) Conventions
		d) Definitions
		e) Electrical Specifications (S4BUS Pin assignments, power,
		   connection specs, logic signal levels, etc..)
		f) BUS Signal Description, transfer rates, arbitration,
		   interrupt, audio signals, power signals)
		g) BUS Cycle Types
		h) I/O Expansion Card Specs
		i) Expansion Memory Card Specs
		k) Expansion Bus Master Specs
		l) Interrupt Protocol
		m) Expansion Board Identification
		n) Expansion Board Reset

There you go... that's the summary.  Hope it provides the proper information
to people that were wondering.

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano            ICUS Software Systems      [w] +1 (516) 589-7930 |
| lenny at icus.islp.ny.us     Telex; 154232428 ICUS      [h] +1 (516) 968-8576 |