SZ and RSZ from ps?

Michael Gersten michael at stb.uu.net
Sat Nov 18 15:12:54 AEST 1989

Ok, what do the SZ and RSZ fields really mean?

The best I can figure out is that SZ is total size of a program in 4K
blocks (fits very closely with what 'size file' tells me), and RSZ is
an indication of how much is in memory (as opposed to swapped out).

The problem? RSZ can be larger than SZ. Programs that are not used for
ages are not 100% swapped out. Even when multiple compress/uncompress's
are started up (memory hogs).

So whats the story? And how does ps report shared mode programs (or
does the UNIX-PC support shared text?)?

		Michael